Online Therapy: Helping Berkshire Access Local Therapists
Within the last year, telehealth platforms have become a popular alternative to in-person therapy, offering a convenient way to access mental health care from the comfort of your own home.
Even if the mental health services you need might be inaccessible through traditional therapy, online therapy services make it possible to access high-quality mental health care through live phone calls, live chat, and video sessions. From affordability to anonymity, here’s how online therapy can help you access local therapists and find the emotional support you need.
Benefits of Online Therapy
According to research, teletherapy can be equally as effective as in-person therapy. The benefits of seeking teletherapy with a licensed therapist include:
- Greater access to mental health providers. Whether you’re dealing with specific issues or searching for a psychiatrist, psychologist, clinical social worker, or family therapist that matches your personal preferences, online counseling or therapy can help you access a more comprehensive selection of providers.
- Potential savings on mental health services. With teletherapy, many clients incur fewer therapy-related expenses, such as travel or time off work. Before starting online mental health treatment, be sure to contact your health insurance company to learn more about out-of-pocket costs. This way, you’ll be able to determine whether online psychotherapy or psychiatry presents a more affordable option.
- Extra privacy. Instead of using Skype or Zoom, many psychologists, counselors, and therapists use HIPAA-compliant online therapy platforms to ensure confidentiality and provide a safe space for clients to navigate their mental health issues. An online counseling and therapy option also offers a greater degree of anonymity than in-person sessions.
Who can offer online therapy services?
Several different types of mental health professionals can offer online therapy services, including:
- Licensed professional counselors
- Clinical psychologists
- Licensed marriage and family therapists
- Licensed clinical social workers
While state licensing rules vary, a therapist must hold a license in the state they treat clients. Before committing to a therapist, be sure to check their credentials and licensure with the licensing board in your home state.
How To Make the Most of Your Teletherapy Session
Even though online counseling appointments allow you to access mental health treatment from the comfort of your own home, it’s vital to treat live sessions as respectfully as you would face-to-face therapy. If you’re starting therapy for the first time, it can be helpful to research different types of therapy before your first appointment. Some common types of talk therapy that online therapists offer include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT)
- Relationship counseling
In addition to researching which type of therapy you’d prefer, it’s also a good idea to write down some questions to ask your therapist during the first appointment. For example, you might ask your psychologist about insurance coverage, their credentials, and their experience treating your specific mental health concern.
When it’s time for your therapy session, see if you can find a private space in your home. If you don’t live alone, ask your housemates not to disturb you during appointments to provide peace of mind and privacy.
Should you try a therapy session that’s online?
Although teletherapy provides a convenient alternative to in-person therapy, it’s not for everyone, according to the American Psychological Association. Some mental illnesses and issues that online therapy can help treat include:
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders, including major depression and bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- LGBTQ+-related issues
- Mental health concerns related to self-esteem
If you have little privacy at home or you’re experiencing intense symptoms, visiting your therapist’s office for in-person psychotherapy treatment might be the best option.
Accessing Local Therapists Online
Whether you’re transitioning from in-person sessions or you’re searching for the best online therapy platform for live video sessions, it’s important to find the right therapist for you. While online therapy services like TalkSpace and BetterHelp provide subscription plans with unlimited messaging via a mobile app, text therapy isn’t suitable for everyone.
At The Berkshire Therapy Group, our data-driven, personalized approach to mental health connects clients to specialists that match their preferences, requirements, and mental health concerns. If you’ve been diagnosed with a mental health condition, finding it difficult to manage your symptoms, or need some extra help managing your well-being, one of our professional therapists will help you start feeling better with video chat and phone sessions.
To find the right fit, reach out to a mental health professional through The Berkshire Therapy Group. Whether you’re experiencing insomnia, low self-esteem, or relationship issues, we’ll connect you to a licensed therapist you feel comfortable with based on your specific needs. Our compassionate psychotherapists will provide the emotional support you need to navigate your mental health issues and regain strength.